Cocaine worth £160k seized in Emersons Green home

December 21 2018

POLICE found cocaine with a street value of £160,000 when they raided an Emersons Green man’s home.

The seizure was part of an investigation which led to the seizure of drugs worth a total of £305,000 and £200,000 in cash.

The Emersons Green man, David McPherson, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply cocaine, but has since died. Another eight people have been sentenced for their roles in the conspiracy.

An investigation led by the South West Regional Organised Crime Unit began in 2017 and centred on Knowle West man Jimmy Hicks, 32. Along with 31-year-old Matthew Penny, from Hartcliffe, he plotted with men from London and the West Midlands to “deal drugs on a commercial scale” in the Bristol area.

After cocaine and heroin worth £75,000 were seized in South Bristol and two of the gang arrested, Hicks involved McPherson and two more West Midlands men in a plot to bring in more Class A drugs.

Police watched a courier delivering drugs to McPherson’s home in Bampton Close in October 2017. They arrested and searched the courier, seizing the £32,000 that he was carrying in a drawstring bag, and arrested McPherson.

While searching his home they found two compressed blocks of cocaine, with a street value of £160,000, as well as a hydraulic press for preparing the drugs and a safe in his garden shed.

Hicks was arrested the same evening and days later another man was arrested in Oldbury, West Midlands, where £86,000 in cash, £7,000 worth of cocaine, several bags of cannabis and a number of mobile phones used in the conspiracy were seized.

The surviving members of the gang were convicted of conspiracy to supply drugs including heroin, cocaine and cannabis.

Ann Hampshire, Senior Crown Prosecutor for the CPS, said: “The volume of drugs, and the amount of drug money, taken off the streets by this operation are significant steps in the fight against the supply of drugs and in the disruption of criminal gangs in the South West”.

The eight surviving gang members were convicted on November 21 and were due to be sentenced shortly before Christmas at Bristol Crown Court.