December 2018: Vet's Advice

November 28 2018

Winter hazards for our pets

It’s hard to believe that autumn is over and we have the long cold winter months ahead of us!  These are some seasonal tips to keep your pets safe and healthy this winter:

  Do not give your pet chocolate, unless it is the dog variety! Chocolate contains theobromine that is poisonous to pets.  Make sure any chocolates including chocolate tree decorations are kept well out of your pet’s reach.  Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, collapse, seizures, heart failure and death.

  What we consider to be treats can be extremely dangerous to our pets: Christmas cake, mince pies, macadamia nuts, onion, garlic, chives, alcohol, avocado, grapes and raisins should all be avoided. Ingestion can be toxic and sometimes fatal.

  Some Christmas plants such as Poinsettia, Holly, Mistletoe, Amaryllis and Lilies are highly toxic.  Keep them well out of the reach of animals.

  Antifreeze is a very sweet palatable poison for our pets, especially cats and often fatal even in small amounts. 

  Rock salt (to de-ice paths and roads) is a mixture of salt and grit which easily attaches to pets’ paws and fur and if licked off, It can cause vomiting and lethargy and in severe cases lead to convulsions and kidney failure.  It is very important to remember to wipe your pet’s feet and their fur on their tummy after they have been for a walk.

  Older pets with arthritis will feel more discomfort in the cold so make sure they are kept as warm as possible when going outside.

  Make sure your small furries are kept warm by providing extra bedding and covering  their hutches. Check water bottles daily to ensure they don’t freeze.

It is very important that you contact us straight away on 0117 910 9352  if you suspect your pet has eaten anything poisonous.