Fire crews save Sasha the cat, 14

December 21 2018

FIREFIGHTERS gave oxygen to a cat to revive it after rescuing the pet from a burning house in Mangotsfield.

The blaze was discovered at 3.20am on December 13 in the living room of the house in Charnhill Ridge after the 14-year-old cat’s electric heated blanket caught fire.

Two crews from Kingswood fire station were able to put out the blaze and gave the cat oxygen before it was taken to Zetland Veterinary Hospital by her  owners.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service is now warning of the dangers of buying what it calls “cheap electrical products”.

The cat’s owners were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms and called 999.

A fire service spokesman said the spread of the fire and accompanying smoke had been limited because the family closed internal doors as part of their night-time routine.